This beginner-level course by EPFL Extension School is designed to give you the knowledge and skills you need to solve problems with code. With video trainings, written lessons and a variety of hands-on exercises, you’ll not only learn the foundations of programming, you’ll also build a multi-project portfolio to showcase your skills.
- The Essentials: What is programming and how learning it can help you
- Getting Ready: Setting up your computer and environment with text editors, repositories and other tools
- The Building Blocks: Key programming concepts and how to use them to solve real problems
- Source Control Management: Using git to manage your code like a pro
- Foundation Practice: Theory is nice but coding is all about doing - and you'll do a lot!
- Understanding the Web: Developing web pages with HTML and CSS
- Back-End Web Programming in Python: Building a web server to run your own web application using the Flask microframework
- Errors and You: What to do when something goes wrong
The course is also designed to ensure that you have the prerequisite programming knowledge you would need to take any of our intermediate level programs: Applied Data Science: Machine Learning, Web Application Developmentor Applied Data Science: Communication & Visualization. The curriculum of the Thinking and Creating with Code course has been built with the prerequisites for those programs in mind.
This course is taught at a beginner level but you should be familiar with operating a computer, including creating directories, moving and copying files and installing programs prior to registering for this course.